Sunday, April 15, 2007

Up All Night

What a night/day this has been. Tommy started this horrid cough last evening. He has a trach, so we tried to change out the trach tube to see if it was blocked or rubbing him the wrong way. We put him under warm, moist air. Nothing is working for my poor baby. He sleeps for an hour, then coughs for 3 or 5 minutes, then sleeps again. This has been going on all night. I know this for a fact because I was up all night.

Several reasons for being up...first and most important was Tommy. I was worried about him. Second, we were under a tornado watch all night (we live in a single wide mobile home!). Third, two 20 oz Diet Dr. Peppers! I was so wound up, I found myself on ebay looking for a new diaper bag for Tommy. He needs two. One for the regular baby stuff, and another for what is called a "go bag" in which we carry all of his trach supplies. We have to take it everywhere we go, and the bag I have for that purpose now is too flimsy, so since I found his regular diaper bag on ebay, I figured it would be a good place to start. Found a brand new one for less than $15 including the shipping! I probably would have seen it in a store for no less than $35!

So that got me thinking about how to get my $15 back that I just spent...Rob has two big totes of what he likes to think are "collectibles". He asked me to sort them and put them on ebay months ago, but I have never had the time. As it turns out, he might have one or two things in there that will bring in a decent profit. At least enough to cover my diaper bag, haha. I wanted to get it because we live in Charleston, SC. (hurricanes) I need a bag big enough to fit double supplies, plus extra for his trach to keep in our van at all times. I also need to make a box with other supplies like sterile water, peroxide, vinegar, diapers, clothes, etc.

I have never in the 6 years we lived here had an emergency kit. We always figured we'd grab Matthew and Brandon, a few clothes, computer, and go. This year is sooo different. I HAVE to have sterile water to clean his trach! I have to have back up supplies. I hate "what ifs", but it would be my fault if we are stuck with no power or clean water and I had no way to clean his trach or give him meds.

Something else I did while I was on ebay was to apply for the ATM card through paypal. Now if we have to evacuate, my mom or mom in law can credit my paypal account if necessary and I can use the card on the road without having to go to a western union or wait for a transfer, etc. Of course, I have to be out of the area to use it if there is no electricity! The first things they tell you to do if a hurricane is on the way is to gas up the car, get water, and get cash before the ATM's shut down if the power goes out.

I feel so blessed we have never witnessed anything more than a bunch of rain in the 6 years I have been here, but at one time, Hugo was here, so I never count anything out. I guess having Tommy has made us more responsible. Or maybe just more aware of what could happen. I have 6 or 7 weeks before the "official" start of the season, so I have plenty of time to sort out how I want to organize his supplies.

Well, I now have been up for 20 hours straight. I think I will take a nap until the kids wake up. Some sleep is better than no sleep. Besides, the tornado watch is over in 30 minutes, and my caffeine wore off. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope things calm down for you, and you're able to catch up on your sleep. I'll say a big prayer for you.

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries