Thursday, April 19, 2007

Cardiology Clinic Results

Can I stop being a "heart" mommy for one day???

Today was cardiology clinic. He hates xrays, tolerates the EKG until the stickers have to come off, and went to sleep as soon as his echo was finished. Dim lights, a mobile overhead, comfy bed. I wanted to trade places! All was going well until we put that little probe on his foot, and then on his hand to double check. His sats hovered in the mid to low 70's! The nurse left that little probe on for nearly 10 minutes and the best she got was a 74. Can you FEEL my world screech to a halt???

All of the other tests came back okay, so we are not looking at congestive heart failure, just low sats. Could be from the cough he has, or it is his new baseline. Our plan of attack is to do a heart cath in the middle of May, and open heart surgery in June.

I feel like I am banging my head against a wall. I fought so hard to get all of his therapies lined up and now instead of the 6 months of treatment he SHOULD have had if the EI program had done what they were supposed to have done, he is only getting about 2 months. At least he is going to get a good head start before he is back in the hospital again.

On a happy note, those two teeth of his are almost through!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Hello! Saw your email on PDHeart. My son Jacob is 8 months old, had TGA repaired @ 6 days old. We are very fortunate that he is doing well.

Tommy is just beautiful! So exciting that your mom will finally get to hold her new grandson - I'm sure she will be so surprised!

I hope Tommy's cath goes well next month. Will keep you in our thoughts & prayers. Stop by our blog sometime: www.threejones.blogspot.com

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries