Sunday, September 9, 2007

Soy Milk Is YUMMY!!!

I'm still trying to stay healthy. Between cutting back on carbs and taking my meds, I have lost about 9 pounds total this month. I have tried to switch everything over to sugar free. I recently bought myself a treat. It was a box of sugar free pudding. I figured if I made it with reconstituted powdered milk, I would have myself a nice guilt free snack. The next day, my blood sugars were high. I couldn't figure it out. Turns out milk is milk. Even if you take out all the fat, you still have carbs. Phooey!

So I talk to my mom about it and she suggests soy milk. My first thought is "eww, gross", but about a week later, I am flipping through a magazine and there is a coupon for a dollar off a bottle of soy milk. I figure what the heck, lets give it a shot. With my coupon, the milk ends up being less than $2.00 for a half gallon. That's cheaper than the "real" stuff! I go with the vanilla flavor. I am still too chicken to waste my money on the plain. Tonight, I get home and put it in the fridge to get it nice and cold after our trip to the grocery.

I finally got the courage to just give it a try. It smells vaguely like baby formula. Once I got that visual out of my head, I took the plunge. I am pleased to say that I like it! It doesn't have the richness of milk. It's more of a watery texture, but very good flavor. I have to say I get the impression of a watered down vanilla instant breakfast type mix. Not bad for something good for me. Now I can have a little cereal every now and then. I can also make my pudding guilt free for real now! Regular milk has 12 grams of carbs for 8 ounces. Soy, even with the vanilla flavoring is only 5 grams for 8 ounces.

1 comment:

Awesome Mom said...

I hear the chocolate is very good too but have not tried it. My sister has issues with dairy foods so she uses soy milk all the time.

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries