Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Rotten Weekend Finally Over

It's good to be home. Yesterday was just an upsetting day. As a matter of fact, something went wrong almost every day we were at the hospital. Friday was the surgery itself. We kept him quiet and sleeping most of the day. Saturday, his trach ties were very loose because the gauze over his incision had fallen out, then when Tommy rolled over, his trach mask snagged his trach and it came about 9/10ths out of his body! I heard a noise and his pulse/ox went off. I ran to the bed just in time to shove the trach back in before it was all the way out. He bled a little and the nurses were paging respiratory "stat". He was just fine.

Then of course, Sunday with the horrid, horrid RT. That brings us to Monday. We did a swallow study to test the function of his upper esophagus after the myotomy. It was a bust. He aspirated on the third swallow. I wasn't anxious until we walked in the room for the study and my heart started pounding. It just wasn't time. Nobody can say for sure, but there is speculation that Tommy may still have some swelling that may be preventing him from completing his swallow. We are going to give him another month and try it again. I don't want to think about past that. Another failure means moving on to very, very serious surgical intervention.

We got home late last night. We made a little stop at Walmart. We were given a gift card and he decided to use it on me. I now have a brand new sewing machine. Problem is, I'm not quite sure how to use it yet. Once I get the basics of threading the machine down, it should be a breeze to learn after that.

No comments:

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries