Monday, December 31, 2007

Hum Drum Hospital Stay

I just spent the night with Tommy in the hospital. He's been having blue spells with coughing, clammy skin and drenched in sweat in the middle of the night. I thought it might be his heart, so I emailed his cardiologist. He asked me to bring Tommy in to be admitted. Turns out he has a viral infection. Fancy word for the cold. Tommy is not typical, so when he gets even a little cold, he is potentially fighting for his life. Since the cold is a virus, there are no antibiotics that can be taken. We just have to ride it out. This is nowhere near as bad as the last time he got sick. We're very lucky! He's fine until he starts to cough, then he's turning blue. As of now, he is laughing at me, trying to get me to look at him!

He will be getting Benadryl for night time and we are going to let him sleep upright in his swing for the next few days to help with the congestion. It doesn't help that it has been raining. Rain makes his secretions run like a faucet. I am happy to say he is a comfortable 79% oxygen saturation level right now. We're going to see the Christmas lights tonight at our local county park. I can't wait to see Tommy's face. He is moving up to his big boy carseat tonight. Yay!

1 comment:

Awesome Mom said...

I am glad that he is feeling better and that you are going to get some help with him.

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries