Wednesday, April 8, 2009

You just never know what is going to happen in your life at any given moment. Such as the look on a little girl's face. I met a little girl at the store while I was working a few days ago. She had purple hearing aides and spoke beautifully. I had to ask her mom about her speech because Tommy was non verbal. I began signing to the girl and her eyes lit up! I was in HER world and not her in ours. It was such a precious moment and reaffirmed my dreams to go to college this fall.

I have such a desire to be a voice for those who cannot speak. Whether it be because they can't physically speak, don't know what to say, or are too young. I spoke for my sister at the doctor two days ago when she was confused and upset about her treatment plan. I spoke for my husband at the doctor today. In addition to his medical issues, he has ADHD. He can't take meds for it because it conflicts with his heart meds. I speak for my children every time I take them to the doctor for their ADHD issues.

Tommy's disabilities were physical. I was not just talking to his doctors about treatments, but fighting for everything he needed just to live. From getting a pulse oximeter approved to fighting to get a nurse in my home so I could sleep. I fought every day for something for him. I see no need to stop now. Tommy represents those children I desire to help. The ones too sick, but not sick enough for assistance. I want to shout it from the rooftops that our kids need to come FIRST. To Hell with bureaucracy, red tape, and referrals. A sick child should NEVER have to do without medical care while waiting for someone in the food chain to say it's okay.

Back to the little girl I was signing to. I certainly don't know enough sign to consider myself fluent, but I knew just enough to communicate. I felt a pride in myself that I was in her world, but I wanted to do more. I wanted to be fluent. I NEED my education to continue to live in her world too. I don't know where my degree will take me, but wherever it may be, I hope it is filled with little children whose eyes light up when I speak for them.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Good for you, Rene. Don't lose site of your dream. There will be more bumps along the way but remember the kids who need you!

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries