Thursday, November 5, 2009

An Update on Brandon

A while back, I posted that we were trying to get psychological assistance for Brandon for his behavioral issues. We were able to start him on medication and after one tweak to a higher dose, it seems to be working for him.

Yesterday, we saw his psychologist for a second time. Lots and lots of questions were asked of me. I tried to explain things as clearly and fairly as I could. Brandon played with playdoh the entire time and was an angel. At the end of the session, I asked the doctor if she was leaning toward any diagnosis. She said no. Brandon is very complex. He doesn't fit into any one category and yet, we both agree that something is amiss with Brandon. You can see it, sense it. Something isn't right but nobody can put their finger on it. She said she's still considering a diagnosis of bipolar but wants to see what his teachers, counselors and other people that have interacted with him say.

She's never seen Brandon off of his meds. I'm wondering if that would change things? I'm more confused now than ever. How can my sweet guy be playing nicely once second and so explosive the next that he's destroying things and hurting people? From the very little I understand about bi polar, there are rapidly cycling periods of depressive states then euphoria and mania. While he does show the euphoria and mania, he's never been in a depressive state outwardly. He's either happy or mad, not happy or sad.

Now that he is on meds, we are also starting to see an increase in his compulsive behaviors. Repetitive picking to one place on his scalp has surged, he's stammering over his words more, and he's not able to transition activities well. He will become hyper focused on an activity and can't/won't stop until it's complete.

I wish I had more answers than questions, but I am so thankful that we have a great team of people surrounding him that want what is best for him and not to pump him full of drugs just so he will sit still and be quiet.

No comments:

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries