Monday, June 23, 2008

Tommy's Trach Popped Out!!!!

Holy Cow! I'm so excited right now, I could just scream! A few minutes ago, I needed a bathroom break, so like always, I called Matthew to the living room to keep a visual on Tommy. Tommy had on his PMV and was sitting in his exersaucer. On my way back down the hall, Matthew yells that Tommy got his PMV off by himself. Sure enough, I come into the room and there he is holding it in his hand examining it.

I walked over to him and he's smiling at me and shows it to me. Silly boy. So I go over to take it from him and start to put it back on him. Except I notice instead that his trach is sitting on his chest. It appeared to be in because his shirt collar hid it. Still Tommy is smiling at me. I did a quick nailbed check...still pink.

I slowly lift him out of the exersaucer and lay him on the ground. Still happy! I tell Matthew calmly that Tommy's trach is out and I need a new trach. Luckily, some arrived in the mail today and were a foot away. We didn't have time to find his neck roll, so I just gently lifted his shoulders with one hand and put in the trach with the other. Now he's mad!

I purposely went slow because I wanted to see what a nose breather looks like....and I must say, he's beautiful. So the trach is back in and I have all the confidence in the world that as soon as we get his tonsils out that he will be decanned (medical term for "trach out") very soon after. That date is July 25th. Tommy's trach was out total about 5 minutes and he did great!!!

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries