Friday, June 27, 2008

No More Homeschooling

We've come to the end of our school year. It's very sad because we've decided to send the boys back to traditional school next year. It's been a very tough year and we've not been able to keep up as well as we'd like. It's been very hard on all of us.

Matthew needs help with his handwriting. Brandon needs speech therapy and I've worn myself thin. We've tried so hard to make it work. I will miss having my family around me all day long. It will just be Tommy and me. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself yet. I am going to be sending off Matthew's paperwork for the end of the year this weekend. Then that will close this chapter in our lives.

I'm so SAD about it! I wanted to be "that" mom. The one that was hands on, homeschooling, completely involved with every aspect of their child's life. Watching plants grow together, creating stuff, learning together. Meshing our medical lives with our educational lives did not work as seamlessly as I had hoped. As a matter of fact, as Tommy has gotten older, he is MORE work and takes up even MORE of my time! Never did I think in a million years that he'd need this much constant attention. At this age, my other boys were content to sit in a playpen and play quietly. Not Tommy. Therapy, tube feedings, meds, doctors appointments, feeding therapy, exercise, 24/7 supervision not only for the trach but now the PMV.

I'm just tired. It's time for the next chapter in our lives. I hope we're making the right decision.

No comments:

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries