Friday, August 17, 2007

Time For A Change

Today was a day for me. Well, I should say yesterday, since it is almost 3 in the morning...anyway...I took myself to the doctor. Not Tommy. Me. I have been worried since Tommy was born that my gestational diabetes was not under control. At my 6 week checkup after he was born I was told it was a little high and to see my regular doctor. I didn't have a regular doctor, and my insurance ran out very soon after that appointment.

I ended up finding a free clinic last week and made an appointment. I was not far off track in needing myself checked out. My fasting blood sugar was 131. Not terribly high, but enough that the doctor started me on some oral medication and is having me monitor myself for a month. I will then go back and see if there is any change.

Now, Today today, (because it is almost 3 a.m.) well, that is another story. It's my birthday. I am 36 years old today. So I guess my birthday gift to myself was to get on track to getting healthy. I am going to celebrate by putting a roast in the crock pot when I finally get up so there will be no cooking on my part for my birthday dinner. I am going to watch High School Musical Part 2 and just relax. I am hoping hubby can take the older boys to a friends and all of them spend the weekend. I could really use the peace and quiet. Of course, Tommy would still be here, but he alone isn't really that much work. It's when you add all of his work in with cleaning house, cooking, taking care of the other boys, blah, blah, blah that is gets tough!

So. Happy Birthday to ME!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Happy Birthday Rene! I am glad that you were able to get to the doctor for yourself, it is sometimes so hard for us mommy's to take care of ourselves too--and it is such an important thing to do.

My name is Samantha, I found your blog through someone (I cannot remember now). I am a heart mommy too. I have three kids (Noah, 4 HH, Leah 3 HH and Micah 1 with critical pulmonary valve stenosis/pulmonary atresia--I have heard both diagnoses from diff docs)

I just wanted to say hi and happy birthday!

Take care,
Samantha

Awesome Mom said...

I hope that you had a happy birthday! I know what you mean about it being hard to take care of yourself when you have so much to do with a medically needy child. I need to make a trip to the dentist. I have not been since before Evan was born.

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries