Thursday, October 1, 2009

Being Sick Has its Benefits

So this is what life is like? Working outside the home, cherishing my days off and trying to fit in sleep and a little fun. I have a cold today and I spent the entire day alone.

I just realized that it has been nice to be sick. No, I am not enjoying the headache or the fact I can't stop coughing, but that I got to spend a day alone. Originally, I was to head into town to run errands all day long, but when the alarm clock rang this morning, my body responded by putting a vice grip on my head. Not a fun way to begin my day. I sent Rob to run the errands alone and I burrowed back under the covers.

Around 1, I was able to climb out of bed long enough in search of ibuprofen and caffeine. I then popped one of my favorite movies into the dvd player in my room and had a peaceful afternoon. By the end of the movie, my headache had diminished. I still have my annoying cough, but I will live.

My mother in law happens to be at her mother's today. Rob's grandparents. They live in the house in front of ours and the boys have to pass by there to get home after getting off the bus. I called and gave her a heads up that as soon as the boys saw her car that they would probably make a beeline for her. I was correct! About five minutes after the bus dropped them off, my phone was ringing. It was Matthew requesting "pleeeeeeease can we stay over here with grandmaaaaaaaa?". I already knew I was letting him stay (so I can have MORE quiet time!), but I had to mess with him just a little. I asked him about his day, his school projects. Did Brandon have homework? Did he? I managed to drag it out about 5 minutes before I told him yes, he could stay. He was suspicious, so he asked for how long? I never really gave him an answer, because what he doesn't know is that we've been invited over for dinner tonight, so he was staying late anyway. I just want to keep him on his toes.

Most people would see having a cold on their day off as an inconvenience. Why waste a day off doing nothing when there is so much that can be done? It has been the best way to waste a day in my opinion! Why be tough and force myself to run errands with a headache? Instead, I took the time for ME. I have never been one to do much for myself. I've always put others ahead of me. I'm a mom, it's what we do. I don't particularly like being sick, but for once, it was nice to tell the world to go away. Maybe one of these days I will figure out how to do that when I am not sick.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm glad you were able to stay home and take it easy. Sad when we only get me time when we're sick. But I know what you mean. Sometimes that's the only time we'd give ourselves permission to hang out in bed all day and watch a movie. I think I've been sick with the exact same thing. It's going around.

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries