Sunday, July 15, 2007

Borrowing Air!

I found my house! And then I had to leave it! We are still without central air, and here in Charleston, we are having a nice, hot summer. Our mobile home park cut down the trees outside of our house saying they were dead. I couldn't tell either way, so since they aren't technically MY trees, I can't do anything or complain to anybody. It makes me angry because we specifically picked the lot for the trees. Our trailer has an aluminum room and aluminum siding, so it's just like sticking us in an oven with the sun beating down. We also discovered that we don't have ceiling ventilation. So, yeah. It's hot in there. We tried putting up a blanket over our hallway and keep the air conditioner we do have in just one room. We also had 4 fans going in that room, and it still didn't help any. Our thermostat at one point behind the blanket read 105!

So we packed up all of Tommy's gear. Oh my gosh, what a nightmare! Oxygen concentrator, compressor, IV pole, trach supplies, clothes, various machines, not to mention what I needed for Matthew and Brandon. It took two hours to pack it all up into our van, but once we got to our friend's house, ahhhh, the air was so worth it! We have applied for emergency assistance to have the central air fixed. Hopefully I am going to get a call tomorrow to tell me they are coming! I have Vonage for a home phone, so if anybody calls, it shows up in my email when they leave me a message. I have my cell with me, so I just return the call. The only bad thing is where we are staying is 30 miles away, and I have no transportation back. Rob has to use our van for work, and my friends have appointments this week. Honestly, I don't care, I will figure it out if they call!

So here we are, in the air conditioning. Tommy is comfortable finally, and I don't have to worry about him getting sick from the heat. In the meantime, I can't stay here forever, so PRAY for our air to get fixed and I can go home and get back on a routine.

2 comments:

Nancy Jensen said...

Oh my word! 105 inside your house?!? That is terrible! It's great that you have nice friends that you can stay with until you are able to get your a/c fixed... which will hopefully be soon!

Hang in there girlfriend! You are doing an amazing job!

BTW, check your chattybox thing... I left you a message there too.

Awesome Mom said...

Yikes!! I would be dying in that heat. I am glad that you were able to get out of the house. Heat is especially hard on heart kids.

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects

Diagram of Tommy's Heart Defects
Double Inlet Left Ventricle with Transpostion of the Great Arteries